Electronic filing of return or e-filing of return is submitting your income tax return online. Every person has to disclose Income earned in a financial year and taxes paid on such income to the income tax department by filing the prescribed Income tax return form.
A person has to choose return form prescribed for filing of return based on the Class of Taxpayers and nature of income.
|ITR 1 (SAHAJ)||Individuals having Income from Salary & Interest.|
|ITR 2||For Individuals & HUFs not having Income from Business or Profession|
|ITR 2A||For Individuals & HUFs not having Income from Business or Profession and Capital Gains and who do not hold foreign assets|
|ITR 3||For Individuals/HUFs being partners in firms and not carrying out business or profession under any proprietorship|
|ITR 4||For Individuals & HUFs having income from a proprietory business or profession|
|ITR 4S (SUGAM)||For Individuals/HUF/Partnership Firm having income from presumptive business|
|ITR 5||For persons other than,- (i) individual, (ii) HUF, (iii) company and (iv) person filing ITR-7|
|ITR 6||For Companies other than companies claiming exemption under section 11|
|ITR 7||For persons including companies required to furnish return under sections 139(4A) or 139(4B) or 139(4C) or 139(4D) or 139(4E) or 139(4F)|
A person can file Income tax by
(i) furnishing the return in a paper form;
(ii) furnishing the return electronically under digital signature or under electronic verification code;
(iii) furnishing the return electronically thereafter submitting the verification of the return in ITR-V acknowledgement;
Who has to e-file Returns?
Following taxpayers shall file their return of income only through e-filing mode (i.e., furnishing the return electronically)
Individuals & HUF :-
(1) Individuals or Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) filing ITR 1/2/2A having a refund claim in the return or having total income of more than Rs. 5,00,000 is required to furnish the return of income electronically.
(2) Individual or a Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) whose books of accounts are required to be audited under section 44AB shall furnish the return of income electronically under digital signature.
(3) A resident assessee having any assets located outside India or signing authority in any account located outside India or income from any source outside India shall furnish the return of income electronically.
(4) electronically filing of ITR- 3 and ITR-4 return forms is mandatory
Companies : –
(5) Every corporate taxpayer (company) filing ITR-6 shall furnish the return of income electronically under digital signature. In other words, for company e-filing with digital signature is mandatory.
(6) A person who is required to file ITR – 5 shall file the same electronically with or without digital signature.
Note:- A firm liable to get its accounts audited under section 44AB shall furnish the return electronically under digital signature.
(7) Any assessee claiming relief under section 90, 90A or 91 (double taxation relief) shall furnish the return of income electronically.
(8) A taxpayer who is required to furnish a audit report under sections 10(23C)(iv), 10(23C)(v), 10(23C)(vi), 10(23C)via), 10A, 10AA, 12A(1)(b), 44AB, 44DA, 50B, 80-IA, 80-IB, 80-IC, 80-ID, 80JJAA, 80LA, 92E, 115JB or 115VW or to give a notice under section 11(2)(a) shall furnish the return electronically.
(9) A political party shall compulsorily furnish the return in the manner mentioned at (i) above.
Following assessees required to e-file their return using digital signature :-
(1) An Individual or a Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) whose books of account are required to be audited under section 44AB shall furnish the return of income electronically under digital signature.
(2) Every company filing ITR-6 shall furnish the return of income electronically under digital signature.
(3) A political party shall compulsorily furnish return of income electronically under digital signature.